Celebrating the Queen’s Coronation in Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
The minute book records that Reverend Barker chaired a Parish Meeting at The Hut on 4th November 1952 to discuss the forthcoming coronation. What had been done on previous occasions was alluded to but no details recorded. Those present favoured a tea for children and for inhabitants over 65 years of age, sports for all ages and a suitable souvenir for the children. Other ideas included a parade of fancy dress and decorated vehicles, a bonfire at night, an old time cricket match and a social or dance. Trees could be planted by the War Memorial or at other suitable places. Mr Dowling offered the use of his field by Church Lane.
Funds would be raised by a house-to-house collection, about £100 might be needed. [The last collection in aid of the King George VI National Memorial Fund had raised £6-14s-7p.] A committee was elected: Mr G Bambridge, Rev F Barker, Mr R Dutton, Mrs Feilden, Mr O Griffin, Mr F Stone, Capt & Mrs Tudor Owen, Mrs I Williams and Brigadier General Williams.
By the next meeting on 5th March 1953, 75% of the £100 had been raised. The parade of fancy dress and decorated vehicles would assemble at The Fox at 2.30 pm to commence sharp at 3 pm. The children’s sports would follow the judging of the fancy dress and decorated vehicles in the park opposite Bramdean House. At 4.15 pm, the WI would provide teas in The Hut for children aged 3-15 years and in The Old School for ladies over 60 and men over 65 years of age.
Souvenirs would be presented to the children at 5 pm, followed by sports for adults, including a tug of war. Arrangements for a cricket match were not settled and it was still uncertain whether there would be a social or dance and who would do the refreshments. Mr Dutton was authorised to spend £25 on fireworks for the bonfire.
Sadly, although the Parish Council met on 29th May and on 2nd October the Coronation celebrations were not mentioned again, just the decision to make a house-to-house collection in the New Year in aid of the Westminster Abbey Fund.